Call for Essays
on Central and Eastern European Immigration to Canada
The international journal, Hungarian Journal of English and American Studies (HJEAS) solicits papers on “Central and Eastern European Immigration to Canada” for a special issue to be published in 2022.
The special issue will address a broad range of topics related to Central and Eastern European immigration to Canada; therefore, we are looking for essays that examine the topic from a wide range of perspectives, including, but not limited to, migration studies, history, literature, cultural studies, film studies, travel writing studies, etc. There is no chronological limitation in terms of the time of migration and the term Central and Eastern Europe is used in the broadest possible sense, also including the Balkans and Russia.
The special issue aims to gather essays that explore Central and Eastern European immigration to Canada from a variety of perspectives, with possible topics and questions including (but certainly not limited to):
- Social and economic factors driving CEE immigration to Canada
- Push and pull factors influencing different migration waves
- Canadian immigration policy and Central and Eastern Europe
- Immigration propaganda
- Emigration routes and policies
- Refugees and immigration to Canada
- Perception of CEE immigrants in Canada
- CEE immigrants and the Last Best West
- Role of the United States and immigration restriction on Canadian immigration
- Inter-American perspectives
- Literary and filmic representations of migration
- Travel writing and migration
- Stereotypes of CEE immigrants in Canada
- CEE communities in Canada
Proposals of about 400-500 words together with a brief CV should be sent to the editor before January 31, 2021. Contributors will be notified of the decision regarding their proposal until February 12, 2021. Complete essays of 7-10,000 words are due by June 30, 2021.
Send proposals and/or queries to Dr. Balázs Venkovits, email@example.com.
The Hungarian Journal of English and American Studies (HJEAS) is devoted to literary, historical, film and cultural studies of the English-speaking world. It is an international scholarly journal with an international audience and the oldest continuously published Central European scholarly journal in its field available at major research centers and libraries throughout the world, published twice a year by the Institute of English and American Studies, University of Debrecen, Hungary. All HJEAS issues are available on JSTOR, the largest, most available website for humanities journals, accessible electronically on ProQuest and indexed and abstracted by PMLA.
Website and further information: https://ojs.lib.unideb.hu/hjeas
Author guidelines and submissions policy: https://ojs.lib.unideb.hu/hjeas/about/submissions